Friday, January 4, 2013

Finding Motivation

As you may have guessed from my months of silence, things have not been going well for me in the weight-loss arena. I definitely allowed myself to get knocked out by the emotional demons who came to fight. It has been a pretty brutal couple of months. With the help of friends and a lot of prayer, I have been able to pull myself out of the deep pit I was in and am embarking on the final third of my weight loss journey.

I've been on the hunt for some way to visually tell myself what I've accomplished and to help keep me on track. Pinterest saved the day with a brilliant motivation board that can be seen here: BackOnPointe Today I changed an entire wall in my bathroom (the room that I probably spend the most time in and that had the biggest "available" wall) into a motivation board! Here's what I've done:


My supplies: a drawing of what I wanted to make, foam letters, pretty thumb tacks, ribbon, easy off picture hangers and cork tiles (not pictured: Sharpie markers, index cards, my printer, clear contact paper and the internet)


The whole wall


A collage that captures how I feel/want to feel about myself and fitness


Each cork tile holds inspirational stuff! The left side has: 1) An inspirational picture telling that voice in my head that it's a liar!, 2) the theme for the month "I BELIEVE in ME!", and 3) Rockin' January's workout calendar (each day has a workout/rest day planned and I even included my goals for the month...8 pounds lighter, run 18 miles a week, climb a 5.9 and ride 75 miles). The right side has: 1) a picture of the gorgeous Marilyn and it says "Today I will...", 2) a scripture for January...I definitely need Heavenly Father's help with this, and 3) a fantastic card of encouragement that I got from a fab friend! 


ECU :) 




Ribbons with clothes pins...each pin represents a pound


This is all I have left to lose!!! Child's play!!!!!


And now that I have this all together I have a giddy grin on my face and I feel like a happy little girl! I keep going into my bathroom to look at it! I'm such a sucker for a good visual!!!! 

As time goes on I'll be changing it up a bit so that I don't stop "seeing" it! I've also set some pretty awesome goals for myself to keep me going throughout the year. The first MAJOR one is running a half marathon on May 4!!!! I'll keep you updated so that you guys can all come out and cheer me on on race day! 

For those of you reading this who know me (and know where I live) I would really appreciate notes of encouragement sent to me via the good old fashioned post office! These notes really make a huge difference for me! They help me to know that I am not alone, which is a chronic demon that I battle, and they let me know that other people believe in me!!!!! These notes are another crucial part of Erin's Motivation Plan!!!!

5 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you. You never cease to amaze me and you inspire me each and every day! Keep up the amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing Erin, I love what you've done to your wall, I need to make a clothsespin counter for myself! Your pictures on facebook of all your climbing, biking, & running are inspiring, you're an amazing example :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fantastic! I love that peacock card as well. Keep your head up and just keep moving. You'll see it! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are an amazing inspiration and have no idea how much i look forward to your awesome posts/pics of your workouts and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Erin, its Alyssa from WW. Just wanted to check with you and see how your doing. Me and a few girls from the Wednesday meetings are doing the 9am on Thursdays and we were all missing you. Hope all is well and hope to hear back :)

    ReplyDelete